Late last night, someone Digged my article on Software Startup Myths Debunked and it landed on the front page of both the Digg Technology section and the Digg homepage. My poor business class DSL connection is probably still crying. To help alleviate the pain, I went through my style sheets and removed some of the larger image references. All told, I probably cut about 50k from the page size. That doesn’t sound like a lot, but when you multiply that by a few dozen visitors per minute, it cuts back on the bandwidth usage a lot. It doesn’t look nearly as good, but traffic is flowing again, so I can’t complain.
I’ll be calling the colocation facility that I made some inquiries to a few months ago to see if I can move my rackmount server into their facility in the very near future. I’ll have to mostly configure it remotely I think. Moving it in there today would be great, but I doubt that’s going to happen and if it doesn’t, then it’s going to have to wait for another week because I’ll be out of town.
Even if I get the server over there today, it’s going to take me some time to get everything set up plus a few days for all the DNS changes to propagate. Things could certainly be worse. At least I didn’t get slashdotted.