New blog format

Well, I’ve finally transferred what I think are all of the entries from my old blog into the new one. For those of you who don’t know, SubText is an offshoot of the original .Text project. I don’t know all the details, but apparently, after the .Text project was abandoned, it was taken up again in the format of the Community Server project. Recently, another fork has been created in the form of the SubText project.

From what I can tell, the software looks to be fairly functional and has the installer that the original .Text lacked. So far, it looks great and the guys who are working on it seem to have a decent handle on what they want it to do in the future. There are a few things that need some work, but I think overall that it’s a good direction for me to go in.

I stumbled across SubText while I was searching for a dedicated blog engine. I had decided that my old blog just wasn’t cutting it. Why not? Well, it was all hand coded. I could have done a much better job if I put the time into it, but it just wasn’t worth the investment. Especially when there are so many decent blogging engines out there.

Like Eric Sink, I have abandoned City Desk as my main blogging management software. Unlike Eric, I didn’t want to write my own blogging engine. While there are certainly some good features that he put into his blogging engine that I think are worthwhile, it’s not worth the time investment for me to do it myself. The fact is, that the source code for SubText is available, so if I want to code up any of those features myself, then I can. Then, I just contribute back to the main SubText branch.

Thus, the beauty of Open Source software.

Leave a Reply